There never seems to be enough money to go around these days...so I have been trying to come up with creative ways to decorate, that are easy on the dime. So far I have come up with making my own curtains...and second hand furniture...and that is it. lol. I changed to lamp shades on three of the light fixtures in this house and have been pretty pleased with that...and I am thinking of trying something similar in our living room....not sure yet if that is going to work...I am also trying to get together some material that I like to do some curtains in the two bedrooms, the dining room, the office, and the living room...and possibly the laundry...although that is kinda a last priority as no one goes in there but me...also we have this HUGE basin in our laundry where our washer drains out but otherwise it is just wasted space so I was going to try and see if Steve can make me something like wooden inserts so that it can be used as a countertop so to speak....not sure if this is yet do-able...but it would be great if it was!! We are def going to be living here for awhile to come so I want to make it our own....we can paint..or really fix up anything but I can hide the walls...and we can make stuff that we can just pick up and take with us when we move or sell in a yard sale if we no longer have a need....I am really trying to make our house feel a bit more home-y and less frat house, but with a pretty tight budget it is a slow process.
Steve is starting his first Honey-Do project....a mobile kitchen island!! I can't wait...our kitchen has very little counterspace, and while storage is great...it is all full!! And we just got two new appliances that I have no room for except in their boxes :( so there is all this dead space in the center so I thought why not a island? with a bit of storage under neath but not attached to anything so that when we move we can pick it up and take it with us...I am so excited to have this as I think with all the counterspace it will provide I will def more in the mood to bake...esp come Christmas :) right now I feel like there is just no room to spread out and make a mess! lol.
The rest of the Honey Do List is looking something like this:
Here is the basin I was talking about earlier. Our washer has to drain into this the water it uses but other than that it serves zero purpose! Such a huge waste! I want to see if we can make some fit overs..allowing of course for the drainage...and possibly taking that old wringer down but if it isn't in the way, I suppose it can stay..just depends. Now that is just ONE idea for this space! In this photo you can also see our hot water heater...and just out of the frame is our toilet. There are these old swinging doors that we never close because they are rather a pain...how ever I am really wanting to do a light and bright curtain all the way across this space to hide the H2O heater and toilet area...I think it is certainly do-able as it isn't a very wide space and it would improve the looks greatly! Also in this space I am saving up for two large cupboards to store our food storage in. You know the Ikea type shelves with doors....just waiting on those but there is room!!
Here is a very bad photo of our BR (our camera is now on the fritz so this is all I had) Anyways as you can see...loads of counter space! Which is wonderful...however (and it is a bit dark in this photo I will try and upload another!!) the cabinetry goes under the sink..the two doors there...and then it is open and then there is a small cabinet just to the right of the door...so I want to get some little end table things at the cheap shop that have baskets in them and put them under neath for extra storage....and then have a small curtain rod or towel rod hung with another curtain on there to hide them...preferrably a nice red checkered pattern as I think it would go really well here. Also notice how our shower is open!! and right next to a window!! VERY ANNOYING. So I would love to do new curtains there as well, but that is at the bottom of the curtain list like the laundry window...however! I can do a shower curtain..just have to find a curtain rod and a shower curtain that I like. That is pretty much all we can do to the BR...oh and I want a new shower rug...you can't see that in this photo anyways :)
These are a few photos to give you an idea of the curtains we are dealing with lol...we have shades in the living room and bathroom windows but the rest of the curtains are sheer and people can see right in..so I am doing this as a privacy thing as well as a looks thing....some of the curtains are just hideous! Of course I will be packing away what is here and when it is time for us to move they will all go back up. The shades are rather annoying as well..as they don't roll up as easily as they are supposed to so we just keep them closed most of the time, but then we do not get a lot of natural light, which is depressing. In the summertime we esp keep them closed as the sun just heats up the house quicker.
Well I think that is about it...and I am glad I figured out how to put photos in posts :) double accomplishment today...now I must go start laundry. Oh joy!! I will post photos as we complete tasks...and by the time we finish them all it will be time to move! lol
No comments:
Post a Comment